Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Weeks #13-#16: "I Love it Here. Wouldn't Want to Be Anywhere Else."

Dear Family,

Part 1 – Mon, 11/24/14 4:11 p.m. written – will send tomorrow.

I received your package and 4 separate envelopes on 11/22/14. Packages like that don’t get sent out until the Sr. couples have time, but usually within a week. Don’t worry about me. I am alive and well. Appreciate the food. But not even kidding you, the flavor is overwhelming. Diarrhea of course is pretty constant here. I am fine though. Not tons of paper left in my notebook so I split the letter to you and the mission president in half. Hope you have received my first letter by now, and I also sent my BYU friends outlining life here. Tell Bear; Britt should have it. I had lost weight, which I was stoked about. I look at that box and see it all coming back. My normal breakfast was Sunshine (powdered milk) Milo (chocolate powder) Weet Biks (can only be described as those really dry flakes with no flavor inside Honey Bunches of Oats) mixed with water and some sugar and bananas.

Thanks for letters Mom, Bear, Dad, Gardners. Any news on my mish friends and Justin! Also I have really liked the talks (Gen. Conf) and the letters of support. Don’t send heavy things while I am on outies that I would have to fly in. We only get so much. Food is good. Love you guys a lot. Love the work too.

Please don’t send a letter a week. At most please do 1 letter every 3 weeks or put your letters from every week into the same envelope to send every 3 weeks. I love you guys, but I have been trying to really focus on the work. I love you guys. Just really trying to embrace things here. Life is good though. Very simple. Elder Morley was spot on with my peanut butter. I definitely kept the jar after it went empty to remember (single tear) until it grew mold then I cleaned it out and that’s where I keep my spoon. Pretty basic here lifewise – teach, talk, eat. I can speak pretty well. I mean I sound white, but I can teach and interact. Complex thoughts and new stuff is obviously not there yet, but if you can teach that’s all that matters right? I left most of my learning language books on Tarawa but it’s because I wanted to learn mostly by listening, speaking, asking questions, and writing in my notebook. Mostly just practice when we are  biking to and from places to myself.

Love the people. We have had unusual success here. Not stereotypical outie. I am doing great though, My iPod died 2 weeks ago so I hope you sent it. Please J I really like the hymn Brightly Beams. Definitely won’t be in by Christmas time. A big group of mish come January 1 so we will see. But I love it here; wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I rely on prayer a lot. Strength and success comes from God. Just know I am fine. Focus on Josh; he needs it. I will write as often as I can afford. But at least I will write when mails gets sent out here. Love you all. If you want to hear more look at the letter I sent to my BYU friends. Please don’t email Pres., I want to stay an outie if possible. Way better than Tarawa. I don’t expect to be back in earlier than Christmas at all.

I will buy a new notebook this week so don’t worry Mom. Don’t try to read into the letter; there are no hidden messages or cries for help I promise J Love you.

Love you all,
Elder Buhler

Part 2 – written Tues 11/25/14 7:40 am

Life is pretty basic here. All electricity is solar. Just straight chill. Sunrises are the bomb here and the stars are so pretty. Biking home from the west at night over the air strip is the bomb too.

Still not that  great at sitting cross-legged. I have bruises like stripes across my feet from the coconut fronds on the buias (houses/huts here). Missionaries are really respected on Kiribati so don’t worry. I’m safe. Elder Kim is chill. He’s Josh’s year in school. Definitely like an onion though with all those layers and such. Tell Drake I probably won’t get to email him before he heads out so good luck and to email me.

People are awesome here for the most part; really helpful and love to joke. Not rushing anything language wise and such; don’t want to go crazy out here. That would be unfortunate. I pray for people from home a lot, especially you guys. Sundays are fun because the land is like a circle and we start at the chapel and do a full on sacrament meeting with 30 or so people (Elder Kim and I spoke last week – power of prayer through trials) then we go around and do 4 more sacrament meetings (praying, pass sacrament, 1 of us conducts, the other other presides and gives a thought). Approximately like this: 1 – 30ish; 2 – 30ish; 3 – 4ish; 4 – 7ish; 5 – 3ish as far as people per sacrament. People feed us and it takes the whole day. On Fast Sunday everybody comes to the chapel.

Bananas here are way better than back home. Smaller, but really sweet. Wake up every morning without an alarm clock between 6-6:30. Went back to bed a few times, but never actually got up later than 6:50. Hard to explain life here. More one of those things you have to be here for. Once the sun goes down everything shuts down. We just go to dinner and chill with members usually.

Hope this letter answers some of your questions. I find it quite difficult to write letters. Hope everyone is doing well. Also, the P.O. Box here is 400 not 406.

Well, that’s about it for now. I’m sorry if I sounded ungrateful/sharp with my comments on the other paper. I just really want to work hard. I love you guys a lot, but the people here deserve nothing less than my best and if my mind is home there my heart will be too. Hel. 5:8. Hope you guys know I love you. Talk soon. Got to sleep.


Elder Buhler

No comments:

Post a Comment