Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Week 19: "Its Like "The Other Side of Heaven.'"

Written 12/01/2014 – Monday – 3:14pm (3rd letter in 19 weeks)

** We did not hear from him at Christmas. He was on a remote island that does not have internet service or the capacity for him to call.  He does not email. Gratefully, he has a mission president that when his mother is really dying...she can email him to make sure her son is alive. 

Writing on this paper as a sort of side note. The mission is going well; continued progress as always. I ask lots of questions which I think helps. I am not afraid to be ridiculed or be told it’s something I already know. Sometimes I feel a little foolish but that’s all part of the learning process. And I am always very keen to learn. I also don’t kill myself to learn the language. I am very aware of my strengths and I know I could completely immerse myself and obsessively learn the language, but there is a chance of some very unwelcoming side effects to that. I could become irritable and tough to work with if I go into a zone like that. I could go crazy out here, which on an island in the middle of the ocean isn’t desirable. And most importantly there is a good chance I would lose track of WHY I’m learning the language. I’m here to immerse myself in a culture, love a people, and preach the gospel. Not to add something to a resume.

I will be very straightforward and honest with you and tell you I have weaknesses and yes they are plentiful, but I am willing to acknowledge them and turn to prayer for hopeful guidance from a loving Heavenly Father and let myself be 1 Nephi 20:10.

I love it here. Straight up a lot of similarities with The Other Side of Heaven. Elder Kim even said he has had his head and hand chewed by rats. Not gushing blood but still pretty interesting. Most people are family, etc.

Have I gotten discouraged? Rarely, but yes. Usually when I hear someone say something about my language or I straight have no clue what to say. But straight up honestly, I testify to the gift of tongues because I am still learning this language very quickly and faster than most I figure. That’s God’s strength not mine. I am HAPPY here. I tell my rougher times (3-4 times) so you can realize that I am human and make mistakes too. But I couldn’t be in a better place than right here because this is where I am called. Pray a lot. Read words of prophets both past and present and realize happiness is now and not only that things will only get better. I love you all and something I realized for me, the small and simple decisions influence the big ones, not the other way around. Will write more when I get letters.

Elder Buhler

Love you all. Thanks for stuff. Wrote this before package came. Had to write J-Botch. Will write at a later time. Super busy. Know I love you all. Hope this is good too.

Jacob wrote Justin that he got our "humongous" package and used all the decorations we sent to decorate their little abode. It made the $287 to send it worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment