Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week #4: Elder Buhler Is Having the Time of His Life!








Approximately day 23 here in the MTC and i'm starting to lose my ability to speak coherent English, my vocabulary has been taking a dive. Which makes me really sad, because language is so much more beautiful and eloquent when using a wide variety of words. The "cools, awesome, and sweet" are so boring. But in other news my language has been coming along really really well! I can formulate my own sentences and respond to questions during lessons pretty well now. I mean obviously it's still pretty basic, and when I reach the field I will get straight up wrecked, but for now i'm pretty content with where I am at! I have become pretty good at just sitting there and learning a concept or a set of words and picking them up, the other day I kept repeating the first vision, and it took me about 35 minutes but I got it down! and the other day we were speaking only Kiribati all day and I felt actually kind of ok about it! But it's not because of me, I know that for sure. The gift of tongues literally has been saving my life. Except for I can't roll my r's my tongue isn't quite that gifted I guess!

Funny story, I go to the mail office to send a letter, and I looked the guy straight in the eye and said "will you letter this for me?" and I have never seen someone so utterly confused. I felt really stupid, but i realized pretty quickly and we laughed pretty hard about it.

Also I wanted to make sure I thanked the Frixiones and I think the Keenes and Grassely's and actually a few other people who sent packages but didn't leave a note for there sincerity! My zone loves it, I am really good about sharing it all. And especially the Frixiones, your smore thing mixed with peanut butter is the bomb!

Well anyways i'm District Leader now. Which is cool I guess. I get the right to....NAY the privilege of obtaining the mail for my district as well as going to meetings on Sunday while everyone just chills. But it's still kind of cool. 

Something I started up in my room is reading from the Kiribati BOM every morning and night at least 2 verses each and then at nights somebody gives a quick spiritual thought. It started with the guys in my district and now has extended to the Fijians, some of the Tongans, and Marshallese. You can feel the spirit so strong in the room, and hearing these absolutely profound thoughts from kids your age is literally so humbling. I am in the presence of spiritual giants here. Most have gone through a lot to get here. There is also this Elder that is going to Fiji who is from Kiribati, so he helps us with the language so that's been super helpful.

Watched the Restoration movie on Sunday night and the Spirit was so freaking strong, it was like whoa. Nako tongo. And it's crazy how I had seen that video a bunch of times, but this time seemed like an entirely different movie, I got so many different and better things out of it! 

Few quotes I really liked, they weren't exact, but they could probably be looked up for exact quotes and some are a probably what they sounded like they meant to me.

"The Lord calls us in our weakness, but qualifies us for his work."

"God speaks to us not spake, we have more need of revelation now than ever."

"We will oft question how, but it shouldn't matter when we already know why."

and there is this part where I was so close to straight crying my eyes out. Joseph Smith Jr. is taking care of his dad and he says "You have watched over us our whole lives..." and his dad says, "That's what Fathers do." and literally that was the most tender moment. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that would be. 

Oh also on Tuesday RICHARD G. SCOTT CAME TO THE MTC TO SPEAK TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was fan girling so hard. It was hard to take notes with stuff he was saying, because all of it was literally spiritual gold. And the greatest part was, 95% of his 40 minute or so talk ended up being personal answers to prayers I had given. The other 5% was conjunctions. But for real it was so good, I was writing stuff he was saying, and then all of a sudden I had this feeling that I should write what I was feeling instead and so I just started writing what I was feeling and I had never written so quickly fervently and with passion. I felt so spiritually edified. A few quotes from my main man Richy G!

"Don't just have a good mission, have a BLAST!"

"Stop praying to confirm your own desires, learn to listen to what God would have us do, and pray for the strength to do it."

"Answers to prayers come in 3 ways. 1. Through peace and feelt at rest (Yes) 2. Unsettled feelings, stupor of thought (No) 3. We might feel nothing...here we must excercise faith. Always proceed with a trust in God because eventually through fasting and prayer it will become a #1 or #2." 

"Prayers aren't always answered in the time/way we anticipate, but they come when we need it the most." -David O. Mckay.

Yeah so I love it here and we got this white dude that's a Nazi of a Zone leader so that kind of sucks. Our last white zone leader frequently swore, and this one is just awful to be around. So I love the islanders that much more. Way more loving.

In short just wanted to say I am beginning to feel like a missionary, and more than anything I love my chill frisbee seshs at the field by the temple with my Elders, i'm actually getting pretty good too! I also run over there around the field, because I refuse to be fat. In closing I just want to say I appreciate you all so much for being apart of my life. 

No scripture reference this week, hope to have a few more next week.

Tiabo Rimwi

Elder Buhler


No comments:

Post a Comment